Motivational Interviewing (Basics)
Help others to help themselves.
Working ‘with’ and not ‘over’, supporting autonomy, and developing a toolbox of functional strategies to help others to help themselves.
Take the frustration out of trying to help others change! Would you like to better help others to make positive changes, implement the strategies that are most effective when assisting with change, and get some answers to that perplexing question… “Why are they not changing when they said they wanted to?” If this is you, and you’ve struggled with helping others make important changes in the past, Motivational Interviewing (Basics) will provide you with the critical skills you need to become an influential change agent.
What does Motivational Interviewing (Basics) teach?
Motivational Interviewing (Basics) teaches participants to:
- Understand and apply the fundamental theory of Motivational Interviewing to your practice
- Accurately interpret and apply the key principles and core skills of MI
- Explore and utilise a range of crucial strategies to achieve rapid engagement and develop a therapeutic alliance with those you are trying to help
- Apply a range of best practice MI tools and techniques to make the most of coaching, performance and change related opportunities
- Respond effectively to negative self-defeating language (sustain talk) and encourage more positive dialogue (change talk)
Who is Motivational Interviewing (Basics) for?
Motivational Interviewing (Basics) is for passionate teams and individuals who want to learn more about what it takes to achieve rapid engagement and build strong working alliances, effectively utilise a range of MI techniques and skills, and become potent agents of change within their organisations.
Motivational Interviewing (Basics) is a one or two-day solution and is available in two delivery methods to meet your organisation's unique needs.
- Live in-room: In-person, facilitator-led classroom training available in ½ day, 1-day or 2-day options (2-4 x 3.5-hour sessions or 1-2 x 7-hour sessions).
- Live online: Virtual, instructor-led training available in 2 hour spaced modules (4-8 x 2-hour sessions).
- A6 Desktop calendar outlining key learning
- A3 fold out companion worksheet
- A set of 'Action plan', 'Habit change' cards
- Link to learner readings, resources and media
- A course completion certificate*
*Available digitally (no charge) or as a hard copy ($10 per learner + includes digital copy)
Want to customise the course?
We offer options to personalise our solutions or to create a bespoke solution to meet your organisation’s specific needs. Learn more at bettertraining.co.nz/Bespoke-solutions
What’s the next step?
If your organisation could benefit from the skills taught in Motivational Interviewing (Basics), contact us today to learn more.